Capitólio the “Queen of Lakes” is filled with all the wow factor for its visitors in Brazil. Capitólio is not as famous as Rio or São Paulo, but this is one of the best places to visit in Brazil. It feels like you have reached a heaven of waterfalls, lakes and canyons and there are so many wonderful outdoor activities available that you might need more than 7 days to visit the whole area. Visitors love to come here to spend time close to the wonderful nature and for lots of waterfall bathing. The breathtaking scenery is going to mesmerize you day and night during your stay.
The municipality is located in the southwest of the Minas Gerais state. The city is a great place to relax, hike and boat in the calm environment. There are plenty of restaurants and cafes in the city which have a very happening life with lots of parties. You will be amazed with the unique party venues inside and outside of the city near lakes and waterfalls. Overall, Capitólio is a wonderful holiday destination filled with parties, outdoor adventures, and ecotourism and as we talked about it, you need at-least a week’s stay to enjoy properly, otherwise you will go back with a heavy heart and will keep longing to come back again.
The town is well known for a precious stone called “Pedra Mineira” and there are quarries for it. The tourism is growing and the people who have visited have loved the place immensely. There are agricultural fields and dairy farms scattered over a large area near the city. The months from December to March are ideal for viewing the waterfalls because rains are heavier during these months which make the waterfalls spectacular. As you can expect, more rains will also make most of the outdoor areas slippery and wet. The non-rain months of July and August will make waterfalls & lakes look smaller. May, June, and September are considered as the moderate months and most ideal for tourists who want to enjoy all kinds of activities in Capitólio.
How to Reach Capitólio Brazil
There are no airports in the region and Capitólio is located around 635 kilometers from Rio de Janeiro and 440 kilometers from Sao Paulo. So, you will land at the airport of Belo Horizonte, and from there take a car or bus. The bus station is around 1-hour drive from the airport and then from there it will take 5 more hours to reach Capitólio. So, the best suggested way is traveling by car to and around the city otherwise you might need 10 days instead of 7 because the bus services are slow.
8 Wonderful Attractions in Capitólio Brazil
The Amazing List of Waterfalls in Capitólio Brazil
- Casca d’Anta Waterfall: This is a magnificent 186 meters free falling waterfall located inside the Serra de Canastra National Park. You will need a one-day trip to enjoy the park and this waterfall.
- Cascatinha Waterfall: This waterfall is 24 meters high and is located between the waters of Lago de Furnas and the MG-050 highway. It can be accessed by speed boats that will take you right at the foot of the waterfall for a magnificent experience.
- Capivara Waterfall: This waterfall is located in the Capivera Ecological Park at the outskirts of Capitólio Canyon Lookout. The area and the waterfall are good for a half day tour and has several small water pools all around the waterfall.
- Pedra Ancorada Waterfall: This waterfall is also located in the Capivera Ecological Park and is ideal to enjoy shallow bathing. Visitors are allowed to bath only on the days when water volume is lower otherwise it gets risky.
- Filó Waterfall: This waterfall is ideal for families and has a beach and a large swimming pool under it. The access route is also easy and that is why this waterfall is mostly a crowded place.
- Fecho da Serra Waterfall: This is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the region and is mostly an incredibly quiet place due to the difficulty of its track. Fecho da Serra Waterfall stays hidden from the reach of visitors even on the busiest of the days. This waterfall is 30 meters high and is flowing in the middle of a beautiful valley creating a spectacular sight.
- Blue Lagoon Waterfall: If you are visiting Capitólio, this is one of the must-see attractions that changes colors with the shades of sun. You can access the lower part of the waterfall from the Furnas Lake by a speed boat. From the upper part, you can enjoy beautiful views of the surroundings and the dam.
- Poço Dourado Waterfall: Poço Dourado Waterfall is famous for its golden shades of water because of lights and rocks around it. Visitors love to enjoy the relaxing bath in the pools of this waterfall. Although it is not a very huge waterfall, but the area is beautiful and is easily accessible from Capitólio.
- Paradise Lost Waterfalls: This is a complex of several waterfalls and pools and is ideal for a full day trip, where you can spend all your day exploring the beautiful nature. The best way to enjoy at Paradise Lost Waterfalls is to hike around and swim and relax at the beautiful water pools and the lovely waterfalls.
- Trilha do Sol Waterfalls: This is a beautiful trail that leads to different waterfalls, water pools and amazing panoramic viewing points. The trail is signposted and has two famous waterfalls along the way which are Poço Dourado Waterfall and the Grito Waterfall. This Poco Dourado waterfall is another waterfall with the same name as we have talked above.
- Pé de Serra Waterfalls: This is another beautiful complex of waterfalls and pools near Capitólio which can be accessed after paying a fee. The infrastructure of the complex is well maintained and has many natural water pools.
- Viking Retreat Waterfalls: This waterfall is not easy to access, the dirt path gets very slippery and inaccessible by vehicles during rainy seasons and only four-wheel drives can reach to the waterfall. Due to this difficulty, many tourists do not go here and hence the place is always calm, quiet, and full of relaxation. There are 5 main waterfalls, several smaller ones, and many water pools. Viking Retreat Waterfalls is a great place for those who like adventure and exploration.
- Cachoeirinha da Ilha: This waterfall is not only a wonderful site to admire the beauty of the nature but also is a site for wonderful parties. The specialty of this party is that it is enjoyed by the visitors in dozens of boats that are anchored to a floating bar. The waterfall coming from the mountain flows straight to the lake of Furnas Dam.
Furnas Canyon in Capitólio Brazil
The beautiful lake of Furnas Dam has been decorated by incredible rocky walls from where several beautiful waterfalls keep flowing creating a twenty meters high canyon. This view is among the most beautiful views of Capitólio and attracts huge tourists from all over the world. This area can be visited by both land and water, and both angles provide immensely beautiful observation points. Visitors love to explore the Furnas Canyon from both land and water. You can hire a speed boat or a guided tour that can take you close to the rocky walls and you can have a dip under the waterfall. Diving has been prohibited because of the high number of boat activity in this area.
If you are visiting the place through land, the ideal viewing point is the top of the Mirante do Canion de Furnas which is located at the top of the MG-050. The top of the Mirante do Canion de Furnas has many observation points to see the rocky walls from different angles.
Lake Escarpment in Capitólio Brazil
Lake Escarpment is an enchanting neighborhood full of luxury houses and mansions but with free access to the visitors. The place is so tranquil that it is often referred as a spa located on the edge of Lake Furnas. This area is around 6 kilometers from the city center of Capitólio, and has many high standard restaurants, bars and cafes. It has direct access to the Lake Furnas from where you can get motorboats for lake cruising and to access different waterfalls. Lake Escarpment is also very famous for clubs and the night life with happening parties inside the luxury mansions.
Furnas lake in Capitólio Brazil
Furnas Dam Lake is also known as “sea of mines” and is very famous because of the magnificence of its waters. Furnas lake is the biggest attraction of Capitólio, which is surrounded by breathtaking landscape, several waterfalls and the canyons. Furnas Lake is the most common starting point for all the tourists who are visiting Capitólio. The lake has outdoor activities all around it and also has many floating bars and the place is also famous for parties near the waterfalls. This is one of the wow factors of Capitólio, where you can enjoy lake views, waterfalls, dance around, and eat at wonderful restaurants surrounded by beautiful body of water.
As we talked about it, the popular activities include hiring a speed boat and cruise around the lake observing the mesmerizing views of the surroundings. You can also take guided tours which can take you the unexplored areas where the water is crystal clear and perfect for a refreshing bath. As this is the busiest spot in Capitólio, it is recommended to book your lake tours in advance and avoid the public holidays because of excessive crowd.
Blue Lagoon Quarry
We have talked about the Blue Lagoon Water Falls above and the place which has been formed by the remains of an old mineral extraction area. The lake flooded the quarry after water sprang up from the subsoil due to excavations. The quarry was abandoned and later became a tourist attraction due to the extra ordinary landscape and exploration points. The water is crystal clear most of the times, but sometimes it changes its colors according to the seasons or heavy rain falls. It is recommended to visit the place with a guided tour as the track may need a 4×4 vehicle.
Serra da Canastra National Park
Serra da Canastra National Park is for those who come to Capitólio to stay for at least 7 days. The best way to explore this huge national park is to give it a full day and a night’s stay and then another half day. There are good accommodations available in and around Serra da Canastra National Park. You can not only enjoy the most beautiful landscapes around the park but can also visit some dairy farms which are famous for producing high quality Canastra Cheese. Remember to take this cheese with you as a souvenir of the area
Serra da Canastra National Park is an ideal place for those who love food, cheese, and nature. The Casca d’Anta Waterfall is the largest waterfall in Sao Francisco and has several natural water pools around it. The area also has several birds and animals including giant anteater and the peasant deer. You may spot a deer if you explore around this beautiful region. In rainy season, the park gets very muddy and can only be accessed by 4×4 vehicles so it is recommended to book a guided tour which will also help you to finish the tour within time.
Furnas Hydroelectric Plant
Furnas Hydroelectric Plant is the reason behind all the recent fame of the Capitólio region. An artificial dam was built in this area for the operation of the hydroelectric plant and is now called as “sea of Minas Gerais”. This dam in Capitólio attracts thousands of tourists all along the year because of its beautiful surroundings and waterfalls. The external area of the dam is open for the public access and you can observe the magnitude of the work from two different lookout points. Both lookout points are on the opposite sides of the dam which will require you to drive over the dam while viewing the machinery at work. You can enjoy some wonderful sunsets from these two lookout points of the dam.
Vale dos Tucanos
The Tucanos Valley is one of the most enchanting places in Capitólio region which is surrounded by large rocky walls and small water strips of the Furnas Dam. The path to the valley passes through the dam and opens to a magnificent scenery and delightful diving spots. The access to the valley is permitted and you can dive in the crystal-clear waters of the valley but only on days when there is very less boat traffic.
Read About Attractions in Gramado Brazil.
Read About Wonderful Iguazu Falls in Brazil.
You will love reading about the Chapada Diamantina National Park of Brazil.
Read about the City of Fortaleza
Also read about the Beautiful Paraty